Sue was writing a few days ago about five things that she loves about spring. Being an Australian she is thrilled that they are now out of winter and into spring. I wish I was so thrilled about being out of summer and into fall! Those of you who have read my blog for a while will know that this isn’t my favorite time of the year. I really don’t relish the late dark mornings and early dark evenings as well as a number of other things!
I’ve decided to be positive though and to think about the things that I do love about this time of the year, so here are my five.
1) I do love the changing colors of the leaves, they look so beautiful with all their oranges, yellows and reds.
2) I enjoy going crunching through the woods to hunt for acorns and conkers (chestnuts to you in N.America!)
3) I like being able to curl up on the sofa or in bed, with a blanket and book or knitting, and some hot chocolate to drink just because it feels a little chilly.
4) …… help me out I’m struggling now! …… k, got one, this time of the year there can be some amazing sunsets as the sun is a wee bit lower in the sky and just seems more majestic etc.
5) PUMPKIN! I love pumpkin pie and pumpkin soup. In the UK we only see pumpkins in the grocery stores between late September and early November. I can’t quite work out if this is because of Halloween so people can carve them, or if it’s the only time when they are available; and unlike squashes, they don’t maintain a year round supply? Anway, I’ve never discovered pumpkin sold in cans here like in N.America, so I can only make pumpkin pie and have pumpkin soup in the fall.
So, what are your favorite things about fall – or indeed spring, if you happen to live in the southern hemisphere?